Partner Richie Thayer chairs Christian & Small’s Personal Injury Practice Group and represents clients in a variety of matters, ranging from products liability and transportation defense to complex UCC and health care management and compliance matters.
With more than a decade of litigation experience, Richie prides himself on his ability to develop both effective and efficient litigation strategies for his clients in state and federal courts, as well as with respect to alternative dispute resolution.
Richie has extensive experience with respect to the following areas:
- Representing health care facilities and hospital systems with respect to management and compliance issues in state and federal court and before arbitration panels.
- Defending commercial motor carriers in state and federal courts in Alabama and Mississippi with respect to personal injury claims, property and cargo damage claims, contractual disputes, and claims of negligent and wanton operation.
- Representing commercial contractors and sub-contractors with respect to breach of contract and defective workmanship claims in the state and federal courts of Alabama and Mississippi, as well as in arbitration.
- Representing manufacturers of heavy equipment and defending wrongful death and defective design claims.
- Representing both domestic and foreign retailers and defending against premises liability claims.
- Drafting and enhancing commercial contractual agreements in the state and federal courts of Alabama and Mississippi, as well as in arbitration.
- Borum v. Werner Co., et al., 2012 WL2047678 (N.D. Ala 2012)
- Jones v. Sherrell, 52 So. 3d 527 (Ala. Civ. App. 2010)
- Jinright v. Werner Enters., Inc., 607 F. Supp. 2d 1274 (Ala. 2009).
- Ex parte Guar. Pest Control, Inc., 21 So. 3d 1222 (Ala. 2009).
- Scruggs, Millette, Bozeman & Dent, P.A. v. Merkel & Cocke, P.A., 910 So. 2d 1093 (Miss. 2005).
Professional and Community Involvement
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms: Member; Primerus Young Lawyers Section, Chairperson (2012-2013)
- Primerus Defense Institute: Member; Transportation Defense Practice Group, Executive Committee (2014-Present)
- Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA): Member
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA): Member
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA): Member; 2009 ADLA Trial Academy Participant
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC): 2010 IADC Trial Academy
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- Mississippi State Bar: Member
- American Bar Association: Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member, Young Lawyers Division
- University of Montevallo: Adjunct professor, Business Law
- National MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Society, Alabama-Mississippi Chapter: Leadership Class 2013; Alumni Panel 2014-2015
- Trinity Child Development Center: Board of Directors
- Trinity United Methodist Church: Member; Usher; Leader, Small Group Bible Studies
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion by Alabama Super Lawyers® in 2014-2015 as a Rising Star in the field of general litigation
- Selected for inclusion by Mid-South Region Super Lawyers® in 2016 as a Rising Star in the field of general litigation
publications and presentations
- Moderator and Co-Presenter at the Primerus Defense Institute Transportation Defense Seminar (March 2016)
- Moderator and Co-Presenter at the Primerus Defense Institute Transportation Defense Seminar (February 2015)
- Presenter at the Primerus Defense Institute Annual Convocation Transportation Practice Group Meeting (April 23, 2015)
- Author, Minimizing Your Firm’s Exposure to Civil Liability, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (September 2014)
- Co-Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association, Basics of Arbitration and Enforcement of Arbitration Awards (April 2014)
- A Compendium of Tort Reform Enactments in All 50 States – Mississippi, A Publication of the Primerus Defense Institute (2012)
- Could You Be Exposing Your Firm to Liability? The Erosion of the Protections Afforded to Attorneys Pursuant to the FDCPA, Stare Decisis: A Quarterly Publication of the Primerus Young Lawyers Section (July 2010)