Mike Vercher describes his greatest legal victories as winning jury trials for two different Alabama companies that were put out of business by forces beyond their control. He says that working on these cases taught him to trust his instincts, trust the client and never, ever give up.
At Christian & Small, Mike has handled a wide variety of cases ranging from general insurance defense matters to complex toxic tort and workplace exposure litigation. When questions arise that fall outside his experience, Mike says he feels good knowing that he can walk down the hall and trust that his colleagues will provide the best legal advice he could find in the state.
- Represented an Alabama company forced out of business by the predatory annexation and zoning of property by a city in a jury trial in Huntsville, Alabama. The trial received significant statewide media attention and resulted in a multi-million dollar verdict for the client.
- Represented an Alabama company against wrongful interference with its rock quarry business in a jury trial in Scottsboro, Alabama resulted in a multi-million dollar jury verdict for the client. The verdict was upheld on appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court.
- For over ten (10) years, Mike has served as lead local counsel for a large insurance company’s workplace exposure litigation in Alabama.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in statewide personal injury litigation for over four (4) years and through conclusion.
- Mike has tried cases to a jury in six (6) different Alabama counties.
- Routinely represents commercial and residential contractors in construction litigation.
- Routinely represents insurers and insureds in catastrophic personal injury and bad faith cases.
- Routinely represents appraisers, real estate professionals and home inspectors in litigation.
- Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co. v. Shanklin, 197 F. Supp. 2d 1338 (M.D. Ala 2002)
- Chandler v. Blizard, 38 So. 3d 38 (Ala. 2009).
- Ex parte Simpson, 36 So. 3d 15 (Ala. 2009).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Christian & Small, LLP: Member, Executive Committee, 2009 – 2012
- American Bar Association (ABA) Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section: Chair, Task Force on Outreach to Young Lawyers, 2012-2014; Vice-Chair in charge of Continuing Legal Education Programing for Trial Techniques Committee, 2012. Young Lawyers Division: Senior Committee Director, 2007-2008; Cabinet Member, 2006-2008; Council Member, 2003-2008; District Representative for Alabama and Georgia, 2003-2005; Chair, Tort, Trial & Insurance Committee, 2002.
- Birmingham Bar Association: Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Section, 2001-2007
- Cathedral of St. Paul: Member, Parish Council, 2004 – present
- Holy Family Cristo Rey High School: Junior Board of Directors, 2008 – present
Awards and Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® in 2013 in civil litigation defense and in 2010 and 2012 as a Rising Star in the fields of civil litigation defense and class action/mass torts and business litigation
- Selected for the Birmingham Business Journal’s “Top 40 Under 40” professionals, 2008
- One of only 25 lawyers from around the country selected to participate in the ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Leadership Academy, 2008-2009
- Selected as a Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
Publications and Presentations
- The Opposite of Condemnation – A Legal Remedy Called Inverse Condemnation, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Newsletter (Summer 2012)
- Presenter at the ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section CLE and Judicial Division CLE Forum: Ethics & Experts – What You May Not Know That Can Destroy Your Case (April 2013)
- Presenter at the Barristers CLE Seminar: Experts: Locating, Qualifying and Preparing Them for Trial Testimony (December 2011).
- Presenter at the Barristers CLE Seminar: Dealing with Medical Liens and Medicare’s Right to Reimbursement in Settlement Agreements (Dec. 2010).
- Dealing with the Difficult Topic of Loss of Consortium Damages During Trial, TIPS Trial Techniques Newsletter (Spring 2010).
- Presenter at the Barristers CLE Seminar: Proving and Defending Special Damages, Loss of Consortium, Loss of Non-Occupational Services and Related Injuries (Dec. 2009).
- “An Associate’s Answer Checklist,” in American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 101 Practice Series: Breaking Down the Basics (2007).
- “Preparing Your Client for a Video Deposition,” in American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 101 Practice Series: Breaking Down the Basics (2007).