Mike Vercher is a partner and the chair of Christian & Small’s Insurance and Financial Services Practice Group. Since 1999, he has represented insurance companies and their insureds in litigation.
Mike has successfully represented businesses in complex mass tort, workplace exposure, construction, transportation, product liability, premises liability, breach of contract and fraud litigation. He has tried cases as lead counsel in six different Alabama counties and in oral arguments before a full panel of the Alabama Supreme Court.
Mike is a frequent speaker at seminars – most recently presenting on the use in litigation of personal data collected by cutting-edge technology.
- Represents an engineering firm in a case involving an electrocution.
- Represents an electrical component manufacturer in a products liability case.
- Represents a commercial construction company in a personal injury case involving serious injuries.
- Represented an Alabama company forced out of business by the predatory annexation and zoning of property by a city in a jury trial in Huntsville, Alabama. The trial received significant statewide media attention.
- Represented a commercial construction company in a case involving an allegation of wrongful death.
- Represented an Alabama company against wrongful interference with its rock quarry business in a jury trial in Scottsboro, Alabama that resulted in a multi-million dollar jury verdict for the client. The verdict was upheld on appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court.
- For more than 17 years, Mike has served as lead statewide counsel for a large insurance company’s workplace exposure litigation.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in statewide personal injury litigation for more than four years and through conclusion.
- Mike has tried cases to a jury as lead counsel in six different Alabama counties.
- Mike has participated as lead counsel in oral arguments before a full panel of the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Routinely represents commercial and residential contractors in construction litigation.
- Routinely represents insurers and insureds in catastrophic personal injury and bad faith cases.
- Routinely represents appraisers, title insurers, real estate professionals, and home inspectors in litigation.
- Routinely represents a soft drink bottling company in litigation in Alabama.
- Routinely represents a retail company in litigation across the Southeast.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association House of Delegates: Alabama State Bar Delegate to the entity charged with the control and administration of one of the world’s largest professional organizations.
- American Bar Association (ABA) Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section: Chair, Membership Committee, 2015-2018; Vice-Chair, Trial Techniques Committee, 2015-present; Chair, Task Force on Outreach to Young Lawyers, 2012-2014; Vice-Chair in charge of Continuing Legal Education Programing for Trial Techniques Committee, 2012.
- Alabama State Bar 2014 Leadership Forum
- Christian & Small LLP: Member, Executive Committee, 2009 – 2012
- ABA Young Lawyers Division: Senior Committee Director, 2007-2008; Cabinet Member, 2006-2008; Council Member, 2003-2008; District Representative for Alabama and Georgia, 2003-2005; Chair, Tort, Trial & Insurance Committee, 2002.
- Birmingham Bar Association: Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Section, 2001-2007
- Cathedral of St. Paul: Member, Parish Council, 2004 – 2016
- Holy Family Cristo Rey High School: Junior Board of Directors, 2008 – 2015
- Volunteer, Youth Basketball Coach, Vestavia Hills, Ala.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016-2018 in the fields of Insurance Litigation and Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants; in 2018 in the fields of Land Use and Zoning Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® in 2013-2015 in the field of civil litigation defense; in Mid-South Region Super Lawyers in 2016-2017 in the field of civil litigation defense
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers in 2010 and 2012 as a Rising Star in the fields of civil litigation defense, class action/mass torts and business litigation
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Membership is by invitation only and limited to 1 percent of lawyers in each jurisdiction.
- One of only 25 lawyers from around the country selected to participate in the ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Leadership Academy
- Selected as a Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Listed by B-Metro magazine among its 2015-2017 “Top Attorneys”
- Selected for the Birmingham Business Journal’s “Top 40 Under 40” professionals (2008)
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, The Privacy and Ethical Implications of Using Information from Internet-Connected (IoT) Devices in Litigation, seminar presentation to the Attorneys Insurance Mutual of the South, Inc. (December 2017)
- Presenter, The Big Brother Implications of Everyday Internet Connected Devices, CLE presentation to Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, Sandestin, Fla. (June 2017)
- Presenter, Using Information Gathered on ‘IoT’ (Internet of Things) Devices in Litigation, CLE presentation to Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Central Florida Chapter (March 2017)
- Presenter, Adjuster Claims Notes: A Survival Guide to Avoiding Bad Faith, CE presentation to ESIS Claims Department, Tampa, Fla. (March 2017)
- Author, Preparing Your Client for a Video Deposition, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (August 2014)
- Presenter, Premises Liability Practice in Alabama, Barristers CLE Seminar (December 2013)
- Presenter, Ethics & Experts – What You May Not Know That Can Destroy Your Case, ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section CLE and Judicial Division CLE Forum (April 2013)
- Author, The Opposite of Condemnation – A Legal Remedy Called Inverse Condemnation, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Newsletter (Summer 2012)
- Presenter, Experts: Locating, Qualifying and Preparing Them for Trial Testimony, Barristers CLE Seminar (December 2011).
- Presenter, Dealing with Medical Liens and Medicare’s Right to Reimbursement in Settlement Agreements, Barristers CLE Seminar (Dec. 2010).
- Author, Dealing with the Difficult Topic of Loss of Consortium Damages During Trial, TIPS Trial Techniques Newsletter (Spring 2010).
- Presenter, Proving and Defending Special Damages, Loss of Consortium, Loss of Non-Occupational Services and Related Injuries, Barristers CLE Seminar (Dec. 2009).
- Author, An Associate’s Answer Checklist, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 101 Practice Series: Breaking Down the Basics (2007).
- Author, Preparing Your Client for a Video Deposition, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 101 Practice Series: Breaking Down the Basics (2007).