A single lawsuit in local court can affect business operations on a global scale. Although law school had adequately informed Jon Macklem of that fact, he saw its truth in action when he served on the trial team for one of Christian & Small’s international distributor clients. Previously, no court had interpreted the cause of action brought against the firm’s client. Because Jon and the rest of the team understood that the rulings in Alabama would dictate how the company did business across the country, they developed a comprehensive strategy that resulted in a defense verdict favorable to the client.
Jon has tried a number of bench and jury trials to verdict, as well as, handled matters in arbitration. While Jon enjoys the excitement of trial, he devotes much of his attention to helping clients avoid costly litigation through proactive risk management. Jon has represented businesses and professionals in an array of matters across the Southeast. He has represented businesses in contract, franchise agreement, trade secret, and labor and employment matters. In addition to representing businesses in litigation, Jon serves as outside counsel for some of the firm’s clients, where he assists in contract and corporate document drafting, and providing general business and labor and employment advice.
- G&G v. Ala. Controls, et al., 2009 WL 1101390 (11th Cir. 2009).
- Madasu v. The Berry Company, et al., 2006 WL 2329342 (Ala. Civ. App. 2006).
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter at National Business Institute Continuing Legal Education: Financial Alphabet Soup: Attorney’s Guide to Financials, Business Valuations, and Accounting Experts ( Aug 2013)
- Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association Continuing Legal Education: Legal and Ethical Considerations When Dealing with Ex-Employees in Litigation (Fall 2013)
- Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association Continuing Legal Education: What’s Yours Is Yours and What’s Yours Is Mine – A Look at Non-Compete Clauses and the Alabama Trade Secrets Act (Dec 2011).
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member, Public Service Committee and Young Lawyers Section
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member, Young Lawyers Section; Member, Executive Committee (2012)
- Rotaract Club of Birmingham