Jonathan Hooks focuses his practice on three key areas: products liability, government relations, and appellate practice. He frequently represents manufacturers and distributors of pharmaceuticals and medical devices, machinery, appliances, and consumer electronics in both state and federal courts. Jonathan is also Chair of the firm’s governmental relations practice group, and has represented numerous political candidates, including a major presidential candidate, in matters both political and legal. He also advises various committees of the Alabama Legislature during that body’s annual session and serves as a ballot security attorney in statewide elections. He has handled several rarely-seen government investigative procedures on behalf of clients who are in the crosshairs of negative public opinion. Finally, Jonathan regularly handles matters before state and federal appellate courts, a skill set largely born of three years as a law clerk and staff attorney at the Supreme Court of Alabama. He is the former Chair of the Alabama State Bar’s appellate practice section.
In addition to his legal work, Jonathan is a teacher, both within the profession and in the community. He teaches deposition techniques at an annual “boot camp” sponsored by the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, and he has served on panels at CLE presentations regarding appellate practice. Additionally, he co-authors an ongoing series of articles aimed at young lawyers providing advice on the practice of law.
Jonathan also serves his local church, teaching Sunday School for young teenagers, including preparing them for Confirmation, and he regularly teaches parish-wide Adult Education classes. He and his wife Holly have four children: Jonathan Jr., Spencer, Mary Claire, and Andrew.
- Represented former multinational company president in international arbitration relating to construction practices
- Extensive work defending residential mortgage servicers against claims by borrowers
- Guided multiple telecommunications providers through restructuring and revision of service contracts and tariffs during industry-wide deregulation in Alabama
- Legal Counsel, Alabama House of Representatives, Education and Commerce Committees
- Ballot Security Attorney in statewide elections since 2004
- Staff Attorney, the Honorable R. Bernard Harwood, Jr. – Supreme Court of Alabama, 2004 – 2006
Professional and Community Involvement
- Alabama State Bar: Immediate Past Chairman, Appellate Practice Section
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association: Membership Committee
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Civil Courts Procedure Committee
- Federalist Society
- Teacher of Confirmation classes, Cathedral of St. Paul
Publications and Presentations
- Author, Generic Drug Makers Fend Off New Plaintiff’s Tactics, But Will the FDA Undo It All?, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (April 2016)
- Author, Justice Antonin Scalia (1936-2016): A Remembrance, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (February 2016)
- Author, Déjà vu All Over Again: 2006 Hospital Lien Decision No Longer a Paper Tiger, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (September 2015)
- Author, David Beats Goliath in War Over Words: Court Rules Free Speech Extends to Drug Company’s Marketing Efforts, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (August 2015)
- Author, Alabama Legislature Eliminates ‘Innovator Liability,’ But Is It Enough?, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (July 2015)
- Author, Morcellators: The ‘Next Big Thing’ for Medical Device Litigation?, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (February 2015)
- Author, Should We Rethink Law School and the Bar Exam?, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (August 2014)
- Co-Author with Sharon D. Stuart, Defending Against Off-Label Marketing Claims in Personal Injury Lawsuits, The International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Drug, Device and Biotechnology Newsletter (November 2014).
- Author, Alabama Supreme Court Holds Failure to Read Documents Constitutes Contributory Negligence, csattorneys.com/the-firm/news-and-accolades (May 2014)
- Author, Florida Tosses Damage Caps, Is Alabama Next?, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (March 2014)
- Author, In Defense of Judicial Elections, 68 Ala. Law. 295 (2007)