In a legal career that spanned three decades, Jim Huckaby (1948-2014) served as counsel to business clients in many important lawsuits in Alabama and throughout the Southeast. Jim served as lead counsel in thousands of individual lawsuits, as trial counsel in more than 40 lawsuits taken to verdict, and was involved in over 75 major class and mass actions.
Recognized as one of 50 Alabama “Litigation Stars” by the editors of Benchmark Litigation, and described in the prestigious Chambers USA Guide to Leading Lawyers as a “masterful lawyer” and a “renowned expert” among Alabama litigators, Jim’s trial and appellate experience extended to a wide range of substantive areas of law that include financial services litigation, securities and antitrust defense, insurance sales practice claims, class action and mass tort products liability defense, and other business and commercial litigation.
Prior to joining Christian & Small, Jim served as the litigation chairman of another Alabama law firm and later founded a small boutique litigation practice specializing in complex business litigation. He served on several charitable and civic boards and as chancellor and legal counsel to his church parish. He remained an esteemed member of the firm until his passing in 2014 and is remembered with appreciation and admiration.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- State Bar of Georgia: Member
Awards and Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell*
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2007 – 2015 in the fields of commercial litigation, mass tort litigation and personal injury litigation; 2012-2015 in the fields of banking and finance litigation; 2012-2014 in the field of securities litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® 2008-2014 in the field of class action/mass torts and 2008-2011 in the fields of business litigation and civil litigation defense
- Selected for inclusion in Benchmark Litigation’s list of Alabama Litigation Stars in the fields of antitrust, commercial litigation, products liability and securities (2010 – 2014)
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA Guide: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2007 – 2013, as one of Alabama’s leading lawyers in commercial litigation
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter at the State Bar of Georgia Class Actions CLE Seminar: The (Sometimes Unpredictable and Unintended) Consequences of Taking a Class Action to Trial, Verdict and Final Judgment (Oct. 3, 2008).
- Presenter at the Lorman Education Services CLE Seminar: Real Evidence for Trial Practitioners – Frye, Daubert, and Beyond (Feb. 8, 2006).
- Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association CLE Seminar: Ethical Considerations in Selecting a Jury (May 31, 2002).
- Presenter at the HalfMoon LLC Seminar: Alabama Discovery Skills for Paralegals (1999).
- Presenter at the Litigation Section of the Alabama State Bar Seminar: Commercial Litigation: The Trial – Closing Statement for the Defendant (Oct. 27, 1989).
- Defenses Available in Construction Litigation, Georgia Defense Lawyers Journal (1980).
- Note, Freedom of the Press—Denial of a Right of Public Access by the Press, 24 Emory L.J. 217 (1975).