As a former U.S. National Security Agency Counterintelligence Investigator, Irving Jones is accustomed to handling sensitive information and has a sincere appreciation for nuance and detail. And it’s the details that fascinate him – Irving enjoys the challenge that comes with being faced with a problem or situation, breaking it down into its most minor parts, examining its intricacies, analyzing his findings, and working with his clients to construct advantageous solutions. He learned to appreciate the competitive art of litigation when he was still in law school – winning the 2014 Pace National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition and chairing the Moot Court Board, where he was selected as the 2014 Moot Court Board Member of the Year.
Irving’s experience in environmental law includes regulatory compliance, administrative procedural challenges, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, and local level environmental policy.
Working for several government agencies also encouraged Irving’s natural curiosity – he wanted to understand the “why” behind the regulations he was helping enforce. He sees many parallels between his past public sector work and his legal career: the importance of being detail-oriented, a willingness to ask the hard questions, an emphasis on diligent research, and an unwavering commitment to partnering with his clients to achieve efficient and effective results.
- Civil and Criminal Division Law Clerk: U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District, Memphis, Tenn.
- Office of Enforcement Operations Law Clerk: U.S. Department of Justice, Washington D.C.
- Counterintelligence Investigator (Cleared: Top Secret/Sensitive Information): U.S. National Security Agency, Fort Meade, Md.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Member; Webpage Chair, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law; Publications Committee Member, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member
- Birmingham Inns of Court: Member
- The Mississippi Bar: Member
- WBHM National Public Radio: Member, Junior Board
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Author, Battle Behind the Curtain: Tensions Heighten Over the EPA’s Clean Power Plan, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (July 2016)
- Author, At-a-Glance: Amendments to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (March 2016)
- Author, A New Life for the Clean Power Plan … Maybe, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (February 2016)
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court Stays EPA’s Clean Power Plan, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (February 2016)
- Author, Think Before You Shred: Georgia Ruling Increases Burden on Parties Holding Evidence, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (October 2015)