Brad Hightower is as competitive in shorts and sneakers as he is in a suit and tie. On the courts, he’s a competitive tennis player who has ranked among the top five tennis players in the state of Alabama in his division. In the courtroom, he’s a commercial litigator and bankruptcy attorney for Christian & Small.
Brad says the practice of law is similar to playing tennis because it requires a spirited advocacy of firm clients. However, that competition is tempered by the doctrine of fairness toward opposing counsel and other parties to the case. Brad routinely volleys complex issues that arise in business reorganization, restructuring and liquidations.
Prior to joining the firm, Brad interned with the Executive Office of the President in Washington, D.C. He was responsible for supplying science and technology articles to the White House website. Brad also completed a two year clerkship with the Honorable Margaret A. Mahoney, the Chief Bankruptcy Judge for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Alabama.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Birmingham Bar Association: Officer, Bankruptcy and Commercial Section
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Alabama Bankers Association: Associate Member
- Learning Excellence Through Tennis (LETT) Program: Vice President, Board of Directors
awards and recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion by Alabama Super Lawyers® in 2012-2016 as a Rising Star in the field of bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights
Publications and Presentations
- Author/Presenter, Domestic Bliss – How to Domesticate Foreign Judgments in Alabama, Birmingham Bar Association (July 2016)
- Author, How Much Must I Pay for My House in Redemption: Taking Poetic License with a Home’s Post-Foreclosure Redemption Price, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (March 2015)
- Author, Bankruptcy Court: When Your Proof of Claim is Filed After the Bar Date, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (September 2014)
- Author, Emerging Issues Under the BAPCPA, Birmingham Bar Association’s Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Section Newsletter, 1 (Spring 2008).
- Co-Author with Hon. Margaret A. Mahoney and Jeffrey J. Hartley, What to Say When Your Proof of Claim is Filed After the Bar Date, Stream of Commerce (Winter 2003).
- Co-Author, The Intersection of Bankruptcy and Divorce: A Compendium, Mobile Bar Association’s Intersection of Bankruptcy and Family Law Seminar (August 15, 2003).
- Presenter, Commercial Aspects of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005, Credit and Finance Development Division of the National Association of Credit Management (March 2006).
- Presenter, Practical Checklist for Preventing Preference Actions, Credit and Finance Development Division of the National Association of Credit Management (August 2006).